Thursday, March 08, 2007

Now that things are settling into perspective and I have a little time I'd like to share our referral experience with you:
On Monday we were made aware that the 2 baby girls that were in the orphanage had been referred out to other families and there were still the 2 baby boys. Diane said to us that she had to ask us this but she thought she would know our answer: Would we consider on of the baby boys for a referral. Well I wasn't OVERjoyed but I was excited for the opportunity. It had been what seemed like forever that we were waiting for this day. I called my mom first because I needed someone rational to give me a little direction. She was quite helpful at helping me think outside the box. Then I called Norm to come to the house right away. I told him about the availability of the baby boy and we pondered, cried, and finally decided that through this whole chain of events that God had chosen for us to have a SON!!! We instantly after making the decision were now OVERjoyed. We called Diane right away and told her we would like the bay boy. She was thrilled. She thought she could have the picture for us that afternoon yet. The day rolled on and around 3:45 Diane called and regretfully told us there was a mix up and they didn't have our baby's picture but should have it on Tuesday for us. Oh the suspense. In the meantime my friend Michelle who also was expecting her referral Monday received hers and emailed the picture and name Dat to me. Oh what a beautiful baby I told her. So perfect with pouty lips and button nose and those big brown eyes!!!! Later that evening we took the girls to see the Harlem Globetrotters, which by the way they absolutely loved and we had a wonderful time, and I received a call on my cell phone there. I wasn't sure of the caller ID # so I didn't know if I should answer it but something made me push the button and cautiously say hello. Much to my surprise it was Michelle. She went on to tell me how they mixed up her picture and the pic she got was a boy(even though he had on a pink hat). Well now I was really confused. She did however get her correct picture and might I add she is absolutely gorgeous. I can't wait to hold her as well as our own son. Anyway, the next morning Diane called and said she didn't have a picture but she had his name... Dat. Ring any bells....that was the same name Michelle gave me with her initial mix up picture. Guesss what...We have met our SON!!! So Diane followed up by emailing me his picture (the same one Michelle had received) and brief medical information. WOW!!! He was here...now comes the longest wait of all. She told us that they are anticipating that we can travel within 2-4 months so we aree trying to prepare for the sooner just in case but not to get too excited yet just in case it goes longer. It is so hard not to have him in our arms. So we have been flying HIGH since Tuesday and our families are so happy and they have fallen in love with him. We still have to wait for further medical reports and speak with his doctor we will be attending here to check over the reports and then we can accept his referral officially. Truthfully I can't see us not accepting it. So last night I decided that we can't any longer call him "our son" & "our baby", he needed a NAME!!!! o we had several in mind and we discussed it with the girls and we ended up putting a few names in a hat and picking one out and well that's how he got his name...DEREK ROBERT LAHR!!!!! One of the unfortunate things is that he was abandoned and therefore we do not know his true birthdate however with all of the pieces put together by the agency and when he came to the orphanage they believe that his birthday must have been around December 5th so that's the date we are going to use. So Derek is now 3 months old and will be around 6 months old when we bring him home to be with us. We can't wait for that day.
What a turn of events huh?!?!?!?!

2 comments:

Kimberly said...

Thanks for sharing! I enjoy hearing others' stories while I wait. It keeps me excited for my "call."

stollmyheart said...

Oh My! I was wondering why the other blog had disappeared! I'm so glad things have worked out this way for you! How exciting! I can't wait to hear more about Derek and your travel information! Good Luck and congratulations!